My workout schedule:
- 8-mile run every morning at 7am.
- p90x workout with a personal trainer once a week (2 hours, broken into 2 x 1 hour sessions.
- Kickboxing and Krav Maga classes (1 each per week - Tuesdays and Fridays after work)
- Any other exercise whenever I feel like it - sometimes I’ll just randomly start doing crunches or push ups, especially if I’m watching TV and feeling guilty for just sitting around.
- My apartment building has a basement gym which is awesome. I take my iPod along and watch some videos or listen to music and run for a bit, usually 30-45 minutes.
Stretching is a big part of any workout - I didn’t realise how important it is until I hired a personal trainer. Not only does it warm up/cool down your muscles, but it promotes healthy circulation of muscular lactic acid, preventing your arms and legs from feeling overworked and sore the next day.
- You really don’t need any special equipment to exercise. You don’t even need to follow a particular schedule or workout plan. Any time that you are sitting around just doing nothing, you could use that time to workout. Even just a few crunches or push ups make a difference.
- I hate running! The only reason I can run eight miles every morning is because I take a scenic route around a Naval Base, over a bridge and along the coastline.
- Great music is a must when working out. It gives you a beat to work to, and can be such a great motivator. If you use music, you won’t even realise how long you’ve been working out for. It makes working out pleasurable and not a chore.
- I go to the occasional Zumba class with my girlfriends - it’s great fun and really doesn’t feel like exercise! The instructors are always awesome too, they don’t make you feel bad and make sure you’re having a good time.